Saturday, May 1, 2010

Getting used to GAE

I'm starting to get comfortable with the Google Apps Engine and, so far, it's a great tool.  Once you learn the syntax and the basic structure, it's a quick way to develop features and make them available for feedback.  I went with the Python option (over Java) for the simple reason that I have a family member who also uses Python. At this point any help I can get is invaluable.  I do have some long-term concerns about the viability of GAE for this project but we'll just have to see how things turn out. For example, data indices can take days (!) to build when you move a live version of your code to the live system.  Also, I know that GAE doesn't support HTTPS connections from custom domains.  At some point I'll be forced to look into workarounds for that problem. But, for now, this platform is easy, free, and has enough support that I can usually find answers to my questions. - Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment